Even a casual reading of the psalms, whether David's or Moses's (Ps 91, for example) reveals a detailed accounting of God's blessings on him and Israel. Thinking back through 2017 here are 17 ways God blessed me. How did he bless you? I'd enjoy hearing from you.
- God protected my family and me over tens of thousands of miles traveled by car and plane.
- God stilled my heart when I said goodbye to any of my four children, all of whom live out of state, assuring me that they are loved and secure under his always alert and watchful care.
- God comforted me when my heart was heavy from the passing of those I love or sharing in the grief of others.
- God gave me wisdom to engage with people who sought my pastoral care or counsel. Frankly, I am often in over my head when called to help people. He instills what I do not have.
- God provided me excellent health to do things he has called me to do and to do many of the things I want to do because I find the activities enjoyable.
- God presented to me opportunities to preach the Word of God scores of times in a wide range of venues.
- God delivered timely aid to my spiritual life often through the love of a brother or sister-in-Christ.
- God revealed himself to me in the daily reading of his word, filling and expanding my mind with the wonder of his person.
- God answered my prayers for his work in my life, my family, my friends, our church, and in so many more requests.
- God protected me from the deceptions of Satan when, if left to myself, I would have been overcome.
- God provided a way of escape for every temptation I faced so that I could endure any and all of them.
- God extended his mercy to me on a daily basis when I declined his way of escape. I sinned against him every day, yet he did not withhold forgiveness.
- God grew deep relationships with more than a few faithful friends.
- God ordered my steps leading me in right paths and turning me away from destructive or dead end paths.
- God encouraged me when and in ways no human being could. Every word of a person was dissonance to me, but his voice to me was soothing.
- God taught me to trust him as I watched situations unfold and lived through life moments over which I had no control.
- God delighted in me as his son. Over and again he affirmed my relationship to him. I am a son of God, and he would have it no other way.
As always I welcome your feedback and any ideas you might have for an upcoming Lunchtime Musing.